September 5, 2013

Facing Your Giants - A Note of Encouragement

Today's post is actually a letter of encouragement written to a participant at Dove's Nest, a women's program that is part of the Charlotte Rescue Mission here in North Carolina. As a community of ladies, the online Bible study that I have been participating in has taken some time to be a part of "Proverbs 31 Gives Back", a two week service time of writing encouraging letters, prayers and scripture for the ladies of Dove's Nest who are courageously striving to make major life changes.

-----

Dear Dove's Nest Participant,

In this moment I don't know what you are going through or what giants you might be facing. Life isn't easy or perfect or without it's own troubles. While our circumstances may be different, we are both facing giants that cannot be conquered on our own. The good news is that God can overcome and He wants to be our help in times of trouble. He is whatever we need Him to be. He is our courage when we fear. He is our peace when we are anxious. He is our Provider when we are lacking and in need. He is our Refuge when the world turns against us. He is our Comforter when we are sad. He is our Abba, Father and He longs for us to run to Him and let Him restore us, heal us and change us.


Sweet friend, you are courageous and you've already taken a leap of faith! I pray that you stay strong and focused on the One who can conquer your giants. Our God is faithful and true and steadfast and loving. He never fails. Sometimes it's hard to see past our circumstances. These giants are too big to see around and we can't even fathom how things can get any better. But our God can and He has proven to be trustworthy. He is Sovereign. He has a plan and our job is to choose to abide in Him and to trust Him.

Recently I have been reminded by some truths that have been encouraging to me as I face giants of my own. Sometimes our hearts may not feel like God is near or cares or is working, but the Bible tells us otherwise. While we may go through periods where our hearts don't line up with our heads, we must remind ourselves of the truth and cling to that:
  • God created me.
  • God delights in me.
  • God is not disappointed in me.
  • God's grace is sufficient for me.
  • God is with me, goes before me, will not leave me or forsake me.
  • God has a plan and a purpose for me.
  • God loves me.

Psalm 27 says this:

The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid? When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident. One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD. Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; be merciful to me and answer me. My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek. Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject or forsake me, O God my Savior. Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me. Teach me your way, O LORD; lead me in a straight path because of my opressors. Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence. I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.



I hope that you will find encouragement in the verses above. We have nothing to fear. We have a Helper. We have a Refuge. We have a Shelter. We can be confident in our God and trust that we will see His goodness in the days to come no matter what the world throws our way.

Be strong, friend, and keep up the good work! Have faith and know that our God is near.

7 comments:

  1. Praying for your peace and joy today, Stacy....may your first day of small group be all that you want it to be!! I am so proud of you and your obedience to God's plan! xoxoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful letter of encouragement!! I'm sure the ladies of Dove's Nest will be greatly blessed by your letter as I was! Thank you for speaking from your heart <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great letter of encouragement to the ladies of Dove's Nest and to me. Thanks for sharing, as I face a major decision that was exactly what I too need to hear this evening. God Bless.
    Marilyn V(OBS Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, thanks for your prayers today! We had a great first meeting! XOXO

    Amber and Marilyn, I'm so glad that you were encouraged and praying for your strength too, as you face giants of your own. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful encouragement! I felt like you were speaking directly to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful and encouraging letter to the women at Dove's nest. Not only did you offer hope to these women, but also to people from everywhere who are reading your blog.

    Michelle Rossi (P31 OBS)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read too many blogs but, I'm so glad I read yours..
    I felt so many of your words touch my heart.
    thank you for sharing God's love with us all.
    felice

    ReplyDelete